Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Commented Blogs

VivianxCai's Moon Cake: http://vivianxcai.blogspot.com/2009/09/moon-cake.html?showComment=1253717787057#c8606698678417560576

I just realized how literally every Chinese food came from a legend or actual story. I remember learning about this story when I was in kindergarten in Taiwan. I believe it gives insights on the Chinese culture as a whole, and we get to learn about the culture and the significance of the food as well. Children will find it a lot more interesting when things are incorporated into a story. They are more willing to listen and will implant it into memory.

My dad loves moon cakes, and he always purchase a huge box and sadly because no one can finish it it ends up in the trash can after being infested with molds. Personally I just like to have a little piece of the moon cake once a year, because the cake is really, really sweet and I often freak out about getting diabetes. And I remember my mom saying that the moon cakes are made with lots and lots of grease and oil-- use to be pork grease, just so the cake can have more of a mushy, melt in your mouth quality. But I do believe they changed to use vegetable oils now.

-- Maggie Tsou

Sooyeon Kim's Ramen: http://sooyeonluvu.blogspot.com/2009/09/ramen.html?showComment=1254277690843#c7889947520145831990

My mom got sick of cooking so during most of the days in a week we just eat ramen for dinner. I love the fact that it is cheap, and you get purchase it just about anywhere, in any market. And if you specifically go to Asian supermarkets, they sell a dozen of different flavors ranging from chopped pork, sauteed beef-- just about any traditional Korean, Japanese, and Chinese style ramen. So if you've ever been in those countries and explore its culture, you see the cart stands with the owner cooking large doses of noodles, and people sitting on small plastic stools eating ramen.

Now ramen not is not only around the Asian culture, but ventured off to America and other countries worldwide as well. Though I do have to add that too much ramen is not good for one's health. The amount of salt in one single package is astounding. College may be tough, yes, but I don't recommend people consuming too much of it. Perhaps for us college students, switching from ramen to a simple sandwich from time to time helps.

- Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment